Welcome to Wendy's Pure Canadian Design Blog

Hello and welcome,

My name is Wendy. I am a single mom of 4 (ages 8, 20, 23, and 26). I am a cat lover and owner of three rescued cats (ages 1, 5 and 11).

Do you have a dream job? I found my niche in Web design. I create websites to sell your products and services. Also, I love creating enhanced photos from pictures I take. The ragdoll cat in the background is one of my favourites that I enhanced.

In July 2016, I completed the Enterprise Web and Mobile Development program at triOS College and an internship with Stiller ADT as a Web Developer. (Sept 2014 - July 2016)

Currently I work from home as a freelance web and graphic designer for my business "Pure Canadian Design". I specialize in creating customized, WordPress e-Commerce websites for small and home-based businesses.

Follow me on my journey in Web and Graphic Design.


~Wendy Parker

Thursday, June 30, 2016

The Best Is Yet To Come!

Today is my final day at triOS College in Kitchener. I can't believe it was two years ago (June 2014) I was contemplating on going to college. I enrolled at triOS in July 2014 and began my Enterprise Web and Mobile Development program on Sept 15th 2014.

Going back to school for web design was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I pondered what I really wanted to learn to do for years. When I moved to Kitchener 7 years ago, I realized this city is big in the tech industry. I knew I wanted to do something with computers. I loved computer programming in high school. I took an Adult Learning course in HTML and CSS 10+ years ago that really peaked my interest in web design so I decided that's the road I wanted to take.

We haven't heard of many women in the tech field until now. Today there are lots more women who are really interested in web design, development and more. I have recently been involved in mentoring young girls who are also interested in learning about coding through the HackerGrrlz program. I think it's great that these girls get an opportunity to experience coding to create animations, games and websites in as early as grade 4! HackerGrrlz is a program run by Year of Code Waterloo Region that supports girls learning to code. They rely on sponsors and funding to be able to run this program. HackerGrrlz is hoping to continue their program in September 2016 providing they have enough funding come in. I definitely want to volunteer to mentor with this program again in September. 

In March 2016, I started a meet-up for people with 0 - 3 years experience that are desiring to learn web design/development. This monthly meet-up called KW Code Newbs is open to men and women. I like to encourage people to come out and find out what coding is all about. We provide basic web design learning, online learning resources, opportunities for work and to further your knowledge in school and discussions about tech related subjects. It's a relaxed atmosphere and your free to ask questions. Networking and working on projects together is also encouraged at the meet-ups. I have many ideas to expand the KW Code Newbs horizons that will be implemented in the future. 

I'll admit web development isn't an easy field to find work in for a "newbie" but there are many opportunities out there. You just need to keep looking and applying. I'm on the hunt for a job as a Junior Web Developer. I don't mind working as a free lance web designer. I'm still working towards my dream of having my own business. Check it out... www.purecanadiandesign.com

I have come a long way in the last few years. I am working in many areas of my life and I'm enjoying every minute of it. Some of my goals are to find work and have a decent income so I get back on track. I want to buy a car and move out of the "not-so-nice" area I'm living in. I want to inspire other single moms to reach for the sky. I have been tempted to return to the "system". I have been tempted to take a part time cashier job because I have the experience in that industry. But I keep reminding myself why I took the steps I did over the last few years. It is really a trying time right now but I am hoping and praying the right work opportunities will open so I can move forward and not backward. I have to keep believing that all the work I have done is not in vain. I do believe the best is yet to come!  

~ Wendy



Photo by Candace Armenti 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment